Tuesday 22 January 2008

news of old Staff Members.

To this day we still have a few of the Teachers alive all getting on as we all are.
Those still alive today are Ron Brabbins aged 92years Asst. Head Teacher and worked at Pishiobury from 1947 to 1963 when he left Pishiobury he worked in the ordinary schools around Harlow.
He is at present living in a nursing home in Bretton Peterborough where he really is enjoying himself although health does catch up with him now and again but he his well looked after and under the watchful eye of his brother Mick and Sister-in-Law Peggy, I love to go over once a month to see him and Ron loves to have visits from Old Boys and he gets visits from Miss. Bennel Daugther of Headmaster Mr. Bennel and the Daughter of the late Mr. Lawrence.
Ron ,Mick and Peggy all came to our reunions and Ron loves to talk about Pishiobury.
Mr. Derek Meanwell is about 84years living in Birmingham married to June who was a favourite of the boys at Pishiobury when doing Derek's garden, June would supply the cold drinks and cake.
Derek was our music teacher along with other duties he would also teach us pottery and bakestry in our recreaton time, one of the best teachers any school could have,both Derek and June came to our reunion.


Mr. Suter is living on the I.O.Wight in Ventor and I sure would love to hear fron his Old Boys
Mr. Suter was a housemaster. Although I was not at the Pishiobury during John's time I did meet him at his bungalow and also at a school reunion, I sure he done a lot for the boys especially teaching photography, the Old Boys I have spoken to all speak highly of John.

Mr. Shelton is alive and well and living in Winchester, John was our P.E. teacher and was at Pishiobury for about 2-3years.

Mr.White is still going and must be about 65years and Peter was the last Headmaster of Pishiobury and his Wife Alex who was the last Matron both saw with great sadness the school close down.
Peter and Alex still live in the house that was lived in by members of Staff through out the Life of Pishiobury the house is opposite Pishiobury Drive in Rowney Gardens both Peter and Alex love to hear from Old Boys and have been to our reunions, all I can say is get in touch they are great people and like many other teachers of Pishiobury helped to put the boys on a better road in their future lives.

The teachers that have passed on that I know of are
Mr. Bennel Headmaster till 1959
Mr. D.D.Littlejohns. Headmaster. 1959-1963
Mr. Bentley. Headmaster 1963 not sure when he retired.
Mr. Osborne Deputy Head 1961-1963 his Wife is still alive and living in St.Mary's on the Isle of Scilley.
Mr. Webb our woodwork teacher as be gone now for some time, he was at Pishiobury from 1947 to 1963 when he moved to Horsham under Frank West.
Mr. Frank West P.E. Teacher left Pishiobury in 1961 to become Headmaster at a school in Horsham.
Mr. Ashton maintence along with Bill Bishop.
Mr. Bill Bishop died about 6years ago and his Wife Pearl 2years ago Bill was our maintence man and taught the boys Boxing he was at Pishiobury 1947 till he retired around about 1981.
Mr. Knight was our stores person who would burn our number on our tooth brushes and give out our new shoes.
Mr. Vic Barwick took over from Mr. Knight and his Wife Win worked in the Kitchens.
Both have passed on but their son John keeps in touch and comes to reunions.
I remember alot of Staff such as Miss Copas Asst. Matron died back in the sevenies at a good age.
I am sure alot of older boys from the forties and early fifties would remember more but I was their from 1959 to 1962 and must say best three years of my life.

17 comments:

atomsman said...

Hi to anyone who remembers me, I'm John Thomas Chennells. I was at Pishiobury from 1962 to 1965. I emigrated to New Zealand in 1980 and now I'm back in the good old UK, after 23 years. I visited the UK 11 times in the 23 years I was away and on one occasion I did visit the old school but alas it was no longer a school. My experience at Pishiobury has left me with lots of memories of good and not so good times, but all in all I think the experience did me some good. One pleasant memory I have is our choir winning a singing competition at Bishops Stortford when we sung 'when you walk through a storm'. It would be great to see it on film if anybody has recorded it. Another good memory was beating Mr Bently at table tennis and winning a load of his old ties. It would be good to hear from any of the old boys from 62/65. My email address is johntchennells@live.co.uk

roger taylor said...

it is with great sadness that i have to report the death of Ron Brabbins teacher at Pishiobury from 1947-1963 Ron passed away on Monday evening 3rd August a wonderful man who will be greatly missed.
Roger taylor 01604 787749

roger_taylor said...

The Funeral Of the Late Ron Brabbins Senior Teacher Pishiobury Approved School 1947-1963 will take place on Thursday 20th
August at 1130 Marholm Crem Peterborough.Family Flowers only but donations in memory of Ron to the NSPCC

queenieweenie78 said...

Hi, my husband was at Pishiobury. He remembers Mr. Meanwell very well. He used to wash his car for him on a sunday. And he remembers going to the choir competitions. He remembers singing "Up with the Jolly Roger" and another song, which we don't know the title of and obviously I can't humm it. Lol. He remembers Mr. Webb aswell. He told me about getting 6 points from the boot master for looking after his boots so well and spending the resulting money on sweets. He would like to know if you remember him. His name is Ron Langman. He says your name definetly rings a bell, but memories are a bit hazy. He was a musician for many years, maybe Mr. Meanwell inspired him. He was a drummer in the Coldstream Guards. He'd be happy (although a bit shy) to get in touch. My email is: iamsoithink@hotmail.co.uk. We'd be happy to hear from you and other people at Pishiobury. Thanks for the memories.

justmyself said...

I was at the school from 1971 to 1975 i remember Mr White we called him snacker because he was always eating things my Colin Hamer any one remember me ie Jimmy Smith.

Unknown said...

I sat next to Colin I was no 36 lol Gary Bowditch.

Unknown said...

Robert addison number 33 1973 to 1976

Unknown said...

Iwas at pishiobury from 1955to 1957.IREMEMBER WE WENT TO MUNDSLEY NORFOLK FOR 1 WEEK CAMPING AND ONE OF OUR DEAR FRIENDS WAS KILLED BY A LIGHTNIG STRIKE I THINK HIS NAME WAS ANTHONY TIMMS. HE CAME FROM WALTHAMSTOW LONDON.I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS THIS SAD EVENT.MY NAME IS TERRY BANFIELD EMAIL TBANFIELD@TALKTALK.NET.OR PHONE 01639896591

Unknown said...

Hi my name is David brown , I was at pishiobury for 3 years , from 78 to 81 I recall a mr white headmaster married to a black woman from Venezuela , great school 😀

Unknown said...

hello jimmy long time i was there from 1975-march 1978 i was number 18 willy thomas aka.bones you sat by the store door and colin hammer billy angus peter stone i also remember mr allan mr steel and many more anyone wants a chat email me

Unknown said...

Hi all contact me, gb2751@googlemail.com regards GARY BOWDITCH

Ken hyde said...

I was there. Ken 07450000562

Unknown said...

Does anyone know Ken Hyde of Terry Banfield's correct email address? I would like to contact them.

gerry.metcalf@t-online.de

Tony jefferies said...

Oh my god Colin was my room mate. We always played up. My name is Tony jefferies. Please contact me

Tony jefferies said...

It's tony jefferies u must know me if u new Colin and Billy Angus etc. Get I contact please tonymcewan54@gmail.com

Tony jefferies said...

It's tony jefferies my email address is tonymcewan54@gmail.com. get hold of me please. Iv tried for so long to contact my old house mates as we were all in the same place and time.

Tony jefferies said...

Colin and I got no home weekend away for 4 weeks for misbehaving. We were naughty back then. Sadly Colin has passed away. But memories will not.